Cabinet Refacing or Hiring a Painter for Kitchen Cabinets?
There are many benefits to cabinet refacing versus having your existing kitchen cabinets painted by a local painter. Here is a list of reasons why cabinet refacing is the better long-term choice for your kitchen:
Benefits of Refacing Kitchen Cabinets:
- You will select the brand new doors of your choice with matching solid wood drawer fronts. Showplace Cabinetry has a large selection of beautiful door styles from which to choose. You will not be limited by the style of your existing kitchen cabinets.
- In the cabinet refacing process, we replace your old hinges with soft-close concealed Blum hinges, which are the best in the industry.
- We can also make kitchen cabinet modifications, such as raising an over-the-stove microwave oven higher from the cooking surface or replacing an unused desk with a new custom cabinet. By making cabinet modifications, we maximize your working area to create more efficient use of kitchen space.
- Most older kitchens have cheaply made drawer boxes with worn-out glides. We can replace them with new solid wood drawer boxes constructed with dove-tailed joints and installed with Blum soft close full-extension glides. We can also add pull-out shelves.
- With cabinet refacing, you will choose brand new paint-grade doors that were intended to be painted, which are sealed, varnished and oven-cured in a controlled environment at the Showplace Cabinetry factory. This results in a durable, smooth finish and feels that simply can’t be duplicated.
Drawbacks of Hiring a Painter for Kitchen Cabinets:
- The existing stained oak or ash doors in your home were never intended to be painted! The grain often shows through after the local painter has completed the work.
- Locally painted kitchen cabinet doors do not wear well over time. Exposure to water, heat, and contact with food & grease cause the paint to peel and chip, especially around the sink and cooking areas.
- For homes with stained kitchen cabinets, it is nearly impossible to match existing stain, as the finish on kitchen cabinets can age with time and change the color. By choosing cabinet refacing, your kitchen will look uniform and brand new with new doors with a factory finish, lasting for years to come.
- If you use a local painter for your kitchen cabinets, you may not be able to replace your old exposed hinges. You will also not be able to make kitchen cabinet modifications or install new moldings, and you may be limited in selecting new pulls based on the current pull size on your kitchen cabinets.